HOW DOES BED OF NAILS WORK?
Bed of Nails is an excellent aid in self-treatment that helps stimulate energy in the body. While triggering the body’s innate way of healing itself, it is an effective tool for easing tension and inducing a state of deep relaxation. Bed of Nails is similar to acupuncture; the pressure of the rounded nails against the skin may help the body release endorphins, the body’s very own “happiness drug” which provides a sense of joy, energy and pain relief, and oxytocin, which makes you feel calm and relaxed (yes, it is possible to feel energetic and be relaxed at the same time!). With more nails than most other acupressure mats on the market, it allows for more treatment and more comfort. Less nails not only provide less treatment, it’s also a more painful experience with more weight on each nail.
HOW DO I USE BED OF NAILS?
Use your Bed of Nails when needed, preferably daily for 10 to 20 minutes, or as long as you desire. As a new user it might be better to lie for a shorter period of time, until the body gets used to the nails. It is completely harmless to lie for a longer period of time or even to fall asleep on it. Everyone is different, so it is key that you find the best way to use your BON. To help you get the most out of your treatment, here are some cool tricks:
HOW DOES IT FEEL TO USE BED OF NAILS?
0 – 1 min: Pressure moves blood to the area - Skin feels prickly and you experience a pleasant tingly sensation.
1 - 2 min: Due to the thousands of nails, the blood circulation increases through your body - A soothing heat spreads through your body.
2 - 4 min: Because of the circulation, blood is delivering oxygen and nutrition to the cells - A burst of energy and endorphin release.
4-6 min: Full body restoration begins - Muscle tension melts away.
10 - 20 min: Oxytocin and endorphins are released - Hello happiness and pain relief! You may drift off into sleep.
(Afterwards): You feel refreshed and restored!
Slowly lower yourself onto the Bed of Nails, evenly distributing your weight across the nails. We recommend beginners, or users who prefer less intense pressure, to use our mat containing more nails and wear a light t-shirt.
- For more intense treatment on your bed or on the floor.
- For less intensity, lean against the back of a sofa, an armchair, or against stacked up pillows in bed. (The more bodyweight put on the nails, the more intense the sensation).
- Step on your mat for a foot massage (Stand still - the nails will do the work). For less intensity, sit down and rest your feet on the mat.
- The BON Mat can be used in combination with the BON Pillow.
To target curved areas like the neck, lumbar and under the feet, use our BON Pillow. It can be used by itself or in combination with the BON Mat or several BON Pillows at the same time.
- For neck support. Lay down on top or lean against, depending on desired intensity.
- For lumbar support when sitting or laying down. Perfect for your office chair, sofa, when you drive or travel on a plane.
- Under your feet for zone therapy to stimulate the organs in your body. Perfect to use at work while sitting in your office chair or while relaxing at home.
- Use the pillow under your feet while lying on your BON Mat.
- Lay on your back and place the pillow alongside your spine between your shoulder blades to open up your chest.
The BON Strap allows you to reach those particular spots on the body needing extra healing and targeted treatment. Apply the nails directly to the area of your body you want to treat, against bare skin or through light clothing, and use the ribbons to tie around to keep the strap in place. A few suggested areas for use, but not limited to. Tie around:
- Head for headaches.
- Waist for lower back pain.
- Arm for tendonitis.
- Any area for cellulite for treatment.
- Any area for circulation.
- Thighs to relieve muscle tension from running.
- Abdomen for upset stomach or period aches.
ASK THE ACUPUNCTURIST
Patricia Leat is a licensed, nationally certified Acupuncturist and Herbalist in the U.S. and draws on a variety of therapies in her practice in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for each patient. Acupressure and Acupuncture boast many similar benefits so we've welcomed Patricia to answer your questions about how our products could assist you on your wellness journey. Click here to ask a question.